Friday, November 7, 2014

"Between Barack and a Hard Place" by Tim Wise

CONNECTION

This was an amazing video and Tim Wise did a great job of getting his point across. Before I go into my connections between white privilege and the points made in this video I would like to share my first thought before I even watched the video. I saw that the speakers name was Tim Wise and I thought "huh that's interesting, it will be really ironic if he has some wise points to share." I didn't even get 5 minutes into the video before I thought how ironic it was that his last name was wise and he was making such "wise" points! Just thought that it was a bit ironic and cool! But anyways, back to the connections and points that wise made in his speech. There are plenty of people out there that give speeches on racism and white privilege and many other related topics, and yes some have personal experiences with those topics. But for some reason his logic and own personal life experiences seemed to make him so aware and educated. In the beginning when he is talking about the difference between friends and acquaintances it made me think about the people that I call my "friends".

I come from a mostly white community, so when I went to high school I had no black friends. There were about a total of 8 black kids in the entire school. Since I started college that changed a lot. Even though my school is still predominantly white there is also a high number of Latino and African American students. My best friend here at college is black and I could tell you her life story along with her address, phone number and much more. So, I know for a fact she is a "friend" but I thought I had a lot of other black "friends" until looking at it from Wise's point of view. When it gets down to the super details about their lives I probably couldn't tell you everything. Now I still look at them as my friends because we hangout almost everyday, but it's interesting after watching this video to look at our friendship in a different perspective. In a way not realizing these kind of things could relate back to white privilege. Wise also gives great examples of his own life experience where teachers would treat him differently when it cam to punishments. If his black friends got in trouble for the same thing he did they would have harsher consequences. He also gave amazing statistics. One of them being that African Americans are a lot more likely to get pulled over, but whites are a lot more likely to have something illegal.

Comments: I think that Wise's easy going personality made the video very engaging. He knew the right times to make a joke and the right times to be very serious. Overall I think he delivered his message in a very strong passionate demeanor!

Hyperlink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INNCxVpGpyU
This is Macklemore's song "White Privilege". This isn't his first time addressing SCWAMP in his song. He has another song called "Same Love" that addresses marriage equality. Very strong messages in his lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment